Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rollin' the Bones, Castin' the Lots



Acts 1:24-26

Then they prayed and said, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.” And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always in a hurry, I never stop to worry
Don't see the time flashin' by
Honey, got no money
I'm all sixes and sevens and nines
Say now, baby, I'm the rank outsider
You can be my partner in crime

But baby, get it straight
You got to roll me and call me the tumblin'
Roll me and call me the tumblin' dice

"Tumblin' Dice" by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards recorded by The Rolling Stones

In my faith tradition, the selection of church leaders can be a long and convoluted process. The selection of either Deacons (a ministry of compassion) Elders (a ministry of leadership) begins with a nominating committee. They prayerfully consider those in the congregation who the Lord wants to serve the church. That's right, it's not who they think should lead, they are to discern who God has already called. If they accept the Committee's nomination then the congregation elects them... or not.

Don't get me started on what it takes to ordain and install a Minister in my denomination. There are books written on that subject.

In Acts, the eleven know it's time to be twelve again. They have a set of qualifications. The new 12th will be "one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us--one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection." (Acts 1:21-22) They know who it should be, they just don't know how to pick between the two they finally identified, so they cast lots.

They take a "rank outsider" and make them a full "partner in crime." They do this by rollin' the bones, tumblin' the dice, castin' the lots. They trust not in chance, but that by this humanly random act the divine will intervene and show them the way. They trust the sovereignty of God to take dominion over the lot.

I'm not saying you should flip a coin in the name of the Lord, but I am saying that to make important decisions we must first consider what is important to God, as the eleven did when nominating the 12th. Then let God show you the way. Have faith, trust in the word of the Lord, and know God is always in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment