Thursday, February 18, 2016

Goo Goo G'joob



John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together

"I Am the Walrus" by John Lennon and Paul McCartney recorded by the Beatles for "The Magical Mystery Tour. I could not find a good version of this song by The Beatles, so instead of using a version by Oasis or Styx or any number of other cover bands, I chose to go all the way to weird with Jim Carrey. Enjoy?

Goo goo g'joob indeed.

Are there any more confusing sentences in the English language than these? Are there any two more overinterpreted sentences in the English language than these? Their interpretation history, that's the only reason I connect these together. None of that John Lennon "We're more famous than Jesus" stuff. Just a history of interpretation wrapped around some incredibly mysterious sentences.

People have tried for eons to try to figure out exactly what these sentences mean. So what do I say, I say that God is so unlike anything we can ever imagine that it is really impossible to figure out exactly what John (the Gospel, not Lennon) truly meant. Consider this instead, John was trying to get us to consider just how completely different, how totally "other" God is compared to who we are as the created; simple, sinful human beings. We need to acknowledge that God is mysterious. What we think we knew we may not really know at all.

So a simple word for a complicated text. God is God. God Is who God Is. God will be who God will be. We simply are not that.

Who are we? Who am I? I am the egg man, I am the egg man, I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob.

No comments:

Post a Comment