Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Wisdom-It's not What We Know It's Who God Is

Thanks to Walt for the tune suggestion.


1Corinthians 1:21b-22, 27-29 (NRSV)

Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, God decided, through the foolishness of our proclamation, to save those who believe.

But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no onec might boast in the presence of God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But he knew, he knew more than me or you
No one could see his view
Oh, where was he going to

And he tried
But before he could tell us he died
When he left us the people cried

Oh, where was he going to?

Portrait (He Knew), by Kerry Livgren, from "Point of Know Return" by Kansas

I am a Presbyterian and traditionally Presbyterians are known for learned clergy. If it were up to my seminary professors alone, this would never change. Seminary teaches scripture, language-Hebrew and Greek, history, liturgy, theology, ministry, mission, evangelism, worship, and a litany of things that would take 2,000 years to learn.

Yet, there is one thing we all leave knowing in one way or another. We really don't know much. When asked how I was feeling, I used to answer, "young and stupid." Now I am almost 30 years older than when I started saying that. Seminary minded new depths of my ignorance. Parish ministry has taught me that I may have every good ministerial tool in my toolbox, but parish ministry can be like trying to being a jet mechanic trying to keep a plane in the air...at 38,000 feet-moving into a thunderstorm.

I long for the days when I thought I was young and stupid.

The joy is I get to remember that I don't need to know all of the answers as long as I know where to seek the answers. He knew, he knew more than me or you, no one could see his view. His wisdom is our folly--and right back at you.

Jesus shared his widsom, the wisdom of God with a creation that could not understand it. He knew we would not be able to get it. Yet he tried, but before he could tell us he died. When he left us the people cried. Do I understand now? Oh no.

Then if we understood, we wouldn't need the Holy Spirit. The Lord knew we would need the Spirit to be with us and show us what we did not understand. Whether it takes one time, seventy-seven times, or seventy-seven plus one times, God is patient and loving and kind.

God knows, and by God's wisdom we can remember it's not what we know, it's who God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment