Saturday, June 25, 2016

Limited Knowledge



1Corinthians 8:2-3

Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. Anyone who claims to know something does not yet have the necessary knowledge; but anyone who loves God is known by him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well now I don't read that daily news
'Cause it ain't hard to figure
Where people gets the blues
They can't dig what they can't use
If they stick to simple
They'd be much less abused

Say I know a little
Lord I do know a little 'bout it
I know a little
I know a little 'bout it
I know a little 'bout love
Baby I can guess the rest

"I Know a Little" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ah to watch the news on TV, I can think of nothing more discouraging. There seems to be a pattern that works, get enough people yelling at one another and people will watch. If this formula didn't work then PBS News would have much higher ratings.

Paul writes that knowledge puffs up. Listen to anyone on talk radio and you will find that's true. TV and radio are filled with people who know and puff themselves up by their knowledge. The puffing up is even measured. They call it ratings. They call it "good" demographics. They call it advertising rates. They call it advertiser prestige.

These pundips (a combined word of "pundit" and "dip$#!^") share news that we have no control over. They will tell us we have power, power focused through the kingdom of a radio or TV show. Their power is in their voice which ultimately becomes a clanging symbol.

What people need is love. Not some undefined general love, but true love for neighbor and self. I'm not talking about being selfish or enlightened self interest either. I'm not saying a rising tide lifts all ships either because a lot of little dinghies get caught in the wake of the supertankers.

I'm talking about the love of God that allows us to accept the free gift of grace by faith in God. I'm talking about sharing the sacrificial love we see in the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm talking about the love that comes by the power of the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about a love we can't share until we learn to accept it ourselves--and that may be the toughest part of all.

I can say I know a little about love, and that would be true. As for guessing the rest, we don't have to guess at all. The ultimate example of love is found in Christ and is available for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment