Saturday, July 2, 2016

A Promise of Hope

No video of this song, we just have to listen to this one...


Acts 2:21

Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you turn around, needing somebody there
Who can give you love and show you good care
If there's a place inside you that's empty and cold

You may need my love, to have, to hold
Call on me, call on me, call on me, call on me
I'll be by your side to keep you satisfied

I want to keep you satisfied
Call on me, call on me call on me, call on me
I'll be by your side to keep you satisfied

"Call on Me" from Straight Shooter recorded by Bad Company written by Paul Rodgers

The Lord saves. The Lord wants to save. The Lord wants to keep us satisfied. How's that for a thought.

There are many, many days when all evidence points to the contrary. Oh so many days when the world wants to wash over us like a tidal wave coming from the cesspool of sinful life. There are days when the only hope is when the stain and wretch and horror of life only reach chest high. Hope, that's for other people. The love of God? It seems like more of a cosmic punch line than a promise.

Here's the wonder of this piece of scripture, Peter is quoting the prophet Joel. Joel is prophesying end times. Let's talk about a time when people envisioned a tidal wave in a cesspool... But Joel had one piece of Good News, just one--Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Everyone.

There really isn't a time when we turn around when we don't need someone there. If we think there is there are two things going wrong: First we're thinking a little too much of ourselves; Second we don't see far enough ahead. We need love in our lives. We need the love of another. We need the love of the Lord. We need the love of the Lord's people. We need to be the Lord's people loving others. We need to call on the Lord.

The Lord cries "call on me." We need to cry and we need to hear because the answer comes. The Lord wants us to call. The Lord wants to respond. That is the promise of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment