Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Love that Waits



Song of Solomon 3:1-3

Upon my bed at night
I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
I called him, but he gave no answer.

“I will rise now and go about the city,
in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.”
I sought him, but found him not.

The sentinels found me,
as they went about in the city.
“Have you seen him whom my soul loves?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But if you loved me
Why'd you leave me?
Take my body
Take my body
All I want is,
And all I need is
To find somebody.
I'll find somebody like you.

"All I Want" written by James Oliver, Richard Flannigan, Mark Daniel Prendergast, Stephen Joseph Garrigan, Vincent Thomas May, recorded by Kodaline from "In a Perfect World"

The lament of missing love. If you loved me why'd you leave me? Upon my bed at night I sought him whom my soul loves.

We seek our lost love in the city streets. We seek our lost love in our memories. While on the streets, we even seek our lost love lost in our own thoughts. This passage from the Song of Solomon and from Kodaline's "All I Want" are both about romantic love. Lovers wander the streets. Praying for deliverance. The woman from the Song finds the King's sentinel's, but not her King. Kodaline can't find the object of their desire either. In the end they sing "All I need is to find somebody. I'll find somebody like you."

Have you ever noticed that "somebody like you" is never as good as "you?" Substitutes never substitute for the real thing.

I'm not saying you can never find true love again, I am saying finding a "substitute" is no substitute for the real thing. Hold out for the real thing.

This is love. This is the love God has for us. God wants us. God seeks us. God desires us. God knows our second best, our substitute selves aren't good enough for love.

Love is patient. How's that for the good news of the gospel in Jesus Christ, the love of God is patient. The love of God is unconditional. The love of God never leaves.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment