Monday, May 23, 2016

No One Like the Lord God



Psalm 86:8-13

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
and bow down before you, O Lord,
and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wondrous things;
you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O LORD,
that I may walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me;
you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's no one like you
I can't wait for the nights with you
I imagine the things we'll do
I just want to be loved by you

"No One Like You" by Bruce Bouton, Roger Springer, and Mark Chesnutt recorded by The Scorpions

There is no one like the Lord our God.

How easy is that? There is no one like the Lord our God. But there is something in this psalm, this song that we should take closer note of, the first line which sings, "There is none like you among the gods, O Lord." This implies that there is more than one god, and our God is the Lord God. Controversial, but hang on for a moment.

In the ancient of days, there were lots of Gods. In Palestine some worshiped the Baals and others worshiped Asherah. The Egyptians, Babylonians, Romans, and Greeks all worshiped groups of Gods. There seemed to be a god for everyday of the week, and actually there was. Monday is named after Mars. Thursday is named after Thor. Saturday is named after Saturn.

People have worshiped other Gods, it's as easy as that. But to say that we don't worship other Gods is a lie we tell ourselves. Personal wealth has temples everywhere from the banks to the gated mansions. Youth is worshiped especially by those who use surgery to wipe away the signs of age. I knew a pastor who despised people who worship the NFL and its holy temples the massive stadium and the satellite dish.

We have other gods, and we still worship them. It's just the nature of sin that we put things before the love of God. But we are called to remember that there is nothing like the Lord God. There is nothing like the love of the Lord God and this alone is what we are called to seek.

Imagine the full love of God, a love that moves us beyond fear and rage and wealth and even hope. The love of God moves us beyond hope and into a relationship that gives us more than we can hope or imagine.

There is no one like the Lord our God. I give thanks that God loves me. I give thanks that God loves us all. Above all, I give thanks that God was concerned with me long before I was concerned with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment